Complete information regarding the application process for prospective students can be found at: csuohio.edu/class/music/MUSaudition.
ALL AUDITIONS ARE BY APPOINTMENT
Percussion auditions are arranged and scheduled by making an appointment directly with Mr. Englander and Mr. Golden to allow for maximum scheduling flexibility. However please note that you must audition prior to March 2 in order to be eligible for talent-based scholarships or assistantships for the following Fall semester. Prospective percussion students are encouraged to contact Mr. Chester Englander and Mr. Bruce Golden with questions at any point during the application process.
Undergraduate audition requirements: B.A. in Music and B.M.
All areas except Performance
- Snare Drum: Solo or etude (i.e. Cirone, Delecluse, Peters, Pratt, Wilcoxon, etc.)
- Mallets: One solo (two or four mallets); All major and minor scales and arpeggios
- Timpani: Solo or etude (i.e. Carroll, Delecluse, Freise, Goodman, etc.)
- Drumset: Optional—Demonstrate various styles at various tempos
**See notes below.
- Snare Drum: One concert solo (i.e. Cirone, Delecluse, Peters, etc.) and one rudimental solo (i.e. Pratt, Wilcoxon, etc.)
- Mallets: One two-mallet solo/etude and one four-mallet solo in contrasting styles; All major and minor scales and arpeggios.
- Timpani: Solo or etude for three or more drums (i.e. Carroll, Delecluse, Firth, Freise, Goodman, etc.)
- Multiple Percussion: Optional—Submit a DVD recording of a multiple percussion solo Drumset: Optional—Demonstrate various styles at various tempos
**See notes below.
Graduate Audition Requirements M.M.—Performance
SIGHTREADING ON ALL INSTRUMENTS WILL BE REQUIRED. DEMONSTRATION OF ADVANCED EAR TRAINING SKILLS REQUIRED.
Snare Drum - One solo AND one rudimental solo or more of the following:
Delecluse etudes Mitch Peters Advanced Etudes or Hard Times Other - please inquire in advance PLUS Rudimental Solo (required) Pratt, Wilcoxon Other - please inquire in advance PLUS Orchestral repertoire of your choice
Timpani - One or more of the following solos: (German and American timpani systems provided PLEASE NOTIFY IN ADVANCE)
Solo from Delecluse Trente Etudes book #3 etudes 21-30 (no other Delecluse please) Vic Firth Solo Timpanist Hochrainer four drum etude of choice. Knauer four drum etude of choice. Carter Improvisation or March Other - please contact in advance PLUS Orchestral repertoire of your choice
Four mallet solo of your choice PLUS Two or four mallet Bach solo of your choice
Xylophone - One or more of the following:
Green, Breuer, Herman or other xylophone solos including concert pieces such as Caprice Valsant, Tambourin Chinois, etc. PLUS Orchestral repertoire of your choice
- Glockenspiel - Orchestral repertoire of your choice
- Accessories - Orchestral repertoire of your choice
- Vibraphone - Not required, only if desired
- Drum set - Not required, only if desired
**See notes below.
Although a live audition is preferred, candidates may also submit a DVD of an audition if time and distance are a major factor. Any DVD audition must be one take with no stopping and no leaving the picture at any time as in a live performance. For more details and requirements please feel free to contact Mr. Englander and Mr. Golden with questions about audition repertoire or instruments prior to your audition.
**NOTES FOR ALL PERCUSSION AUDITIONS:
- Students must provide their own mallets and sticks for the audition.
- The following will be provided at the audition: timpani, adjustable stools, mallet instruments, snare drums, snare stands, and cymbals.
- Students may bring their own snare drum and cymbals, if they prefer. Students planning to play tambourine or triangle must bring their own.
- Students must tune the timpani using a tuning fork or a single pitch from another source (i.e. pitch pipe, piano).
- Timpani solos that call for playing with the “butt” of the stick will only be allowed if a double-headed “flip-stick” is used. In addition, no solos that call for playing on the bowl, frame, or rim of the timpani will be allowed.
- Contact Mr. Englander or Mr. Golden with questions about audition repertoire or instruments prior to your audition
Music Department application information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Music Department Admissions Contacts:
Graduate: Dr. Victor Liva - (216) 687-6931
Undergraduate: Kate Bill (216) 687-5039