Domestic/International Freshmen and Transfer Applicants
Virtual /Video audition instructions for Fall 2021
The School of Music at Cleveland State University is currently accepting applications for Fall 2021. Due to COVID-19 Protocols, the School of Music is unable to welcome music candidates in-person for New Student Audition Days in January and February 2021. However, we welcome you to meet virtually with Music Faculty, interact with current students and admissions representatives, and take a virtual tour of the CSU Campus, Music Building and Waetjen Auditorium on our “Audition Days”.
2020-21 New Student Audition Days
For fall 2021 admission (Virtual and Video only)
Auditions and Interviews, if required, must be completed by February 27, 2021, for Talent Scholarship consideration.
- Saturday, January 30, 2021 (Video due 1/23/2021)
- Saturday, February 13, 2021 (Video due 2/6/2021)
- Saturday, February 27, 2021 (Video due 2/20/2021)
To guarantee a place on the schedule, applications must be received at least 2 weeks before your desired date. No changes will be made within 7 days of a scheduled audition.
Undergraduate: How to apply
In order to pursue a degree in music, high school seniors and transfer students must apply and be admitted to Cleveland State University. Information on university admissions requirements, financial aid, and other general information may be obtained from the Cleveland State Admissions Office or log on to www.csuohio.edu/admissions; https://www.csuohio.edu/international-admissions/undergraduate-students
Follow these steps to complete your Music Application:
- Complete the School of Music Application - https://class.csuohio.edu/music/school-music-application
- Select one of the following audition options:
- Preferred – Submit an audition video. Follow the instructions for completing your recorded audition, making sure to follow the repertoire requirements for your performance medium (voice/instrument).
- Alternate - I am unable to make an audition video and would like to arrange my audition through Zoom or Skype with a School of Music faculty member on posted dates.
- Percussion Auditions are by appointment only – Please refer to the following site for audition and contact information - class.csuohio.edu/music/percussion.
How to Upload Your Audition Video:
You will need a computer or phone with video and audio with a supported browser, either Chrome or Firefox. If you have any difficulties with the video introduction, please contact the Admissions Office. Audition Videos must be submitted as an unlisted YouTube playlist URL. Please do not submit multiple links as only one will be accepted. To create an unlisted playlist, please follow the steps listed below:
- In the setting, make all your YouTube videos unlisted.
- Create a playlist with the unlisted audition videos – make sure each selection is introduced
- In the settings, make your playlist unlisted
- Share your link in the School of Music Application
Audition Requirements for Undergraduate Admission:
Note* Accompaniment is required for voice applicants only. You may use the piano or recorded accompaniment.
Interview and Application Requirements
Music Composition, Music Education, Music Therapy
- MUSIC COMPOSITION - Students wishing to pursue the Bachelor of Music in Composition are required to meet with Dr. Andrew Rindfleisch, Coordinator of the Composition Program. Please contact Dr. Rindfleisch directly at email@example.com to schedule a meeting.
- MUSIC EDUCATION, please click here.
- MUSIC THERAPY, please click here.
Music Theory and Musicianship Placement
All incoming freshman and undergraduate transfer students who have not received college credit for music theory and musicianship courses are required to take the music theory and musicianship placement exam in order to be admitted into the School of Music.
Music Talent Scholarships
- Freshman applicants and transfer students with exceptional academic records should consider applying for any of the University’s other generous merit-based awards.
- The School of Music offers talent-based music scholarships to qualified incoming freshmen, transfer students, and current students regardless of major in return for participation in the School of Music ensembles. Applicants must demonstrate a high level of achievement in their performance at the audition. Competition for the Music Talent Scholarships is keen. Talent scholarships may be applied as payment to cover tuition and fees with the exception of applied music fees. All questions about the Music Talent Scholarships and requirement should be directed to Kate Bill, Recruiter/ Enrollment Administrator for the School of Music at 216-687-5039 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates must audition for scholarship consideration.
CSU Scholarships for Incoming Freshman and Transfer Students (non-music)
Incoming freshmen and transfer students are automatically considered for scholarships once they are admitted to Cleveland State. In some cases, individual scholarships will require a separate application. All students are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For more information on scholarships or financial aid at Cleveland State University, please refer to the following link: www.csuohio.edu/financial-aid/scholarships-3