Fall 2021 Full-time Faculty Highlights
Samantha Baskind; Professor, Department of Art & Design
- "The Revolutionary Portraiture of Hung Liu," Smithsonian Magazine. (October 2021).
- "The Legacy of Artist Audrey Flack," Smithsonian Magazine. (August 2021).
- "Personal Best: The Photography Dynasty That Made Everyone Look Great," Smithsonian Magazine (June 2021): 7-9.
- "The Story Behind the Photography Studio That Captured America." Smithsonian Magazine. (Online)
- "What Are We Missing in the Debate Around NYC City Hall’s Jefferson Statue?,” Hyperallergic. (November 2021).
Films and Public programs:
- Director, writer, and narrator, "Archie Rand: Sixty Paintings from the Bible." Sound Foundry Productions, 35 minutes (July 2021).
- Interviewee, "Comics Take on Hitler and the Nazis," United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Washington, D.C. Facebook Live series, 47 minutes (July 2021). Over 135K views
- Podcast guest, "Siona Benjamin: ‘Blue Like Me’ and Other Trajectories." Episode 5, 38 minutes (July 2021).
Dr. Baskind also just finished a year-long Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Humanities (2020-21).
Mark Cole; College Associate Lecturer, Department of History
Mark B. Cole has recently become the Executive Director of the Ohio Council on Holocaust and Genocide Education which is now housed at CSU. For more info on this organization, see https://ochge.org/about/. His article "Neukoscher, was ist das? German-Jewish Food Transgressions and Identity in the Third Reich" will appear shortly in Johns Hopkins' Journal of Jewish Identities.
Brooke Conti; Associate Professor, Department of English
- Conti, Brooke. "Milton's Ladies," Studies in Philology. 118:4. (Fall 2021).
Studies in Philology, one of the oldest (founded in 1903) and most prestigious journals of literary studies in English.
Patricia Stoddard Dare; Professor, School of Social Work
Patricia Stoddard Dare is one of three faculty in the U.S. invited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) to present best practices for teaching substance use disorder counseling at the CSWE's Annual Program Meeting in November. This presentation summarizes two years' worth of work via a SAMHSA-funded grant to the Council on Social Work Education.
Michael Geither; Professor, Department of English
Mike Geither's solo performance, Heirloom, was released as a radio play by Playwrights Local.
Heirloom was also released as a film for this year's BorderLight Festival.
Guowei Jian; Professor, School of Communication
- Jian, Guowei. "From empathic leader to empathic leadership practice: An extension to relational leadership theory." Human Relations. (March 2021).
Human Relations is ranked #2 in the category of interdisciplinary social sciences with 110 journals, according to the 2021 journal citation reports.
Yuchen Liu; Visiting Assistant Professor, School of Communication
Yuchen Liu was elected as the Best of Digital Chair for the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) Communication Technology Division. Liu will be heading up the AEJMC Best of Web/Best of Digital 2022 Competition.
- Liu, Yuchen, Piotr Bobkowski, Brock Ternes, & Tara Logan. "Who Are the “Masses" in Mass Communication Research? Exploring Participants' Demographic Characteristics Between 2000 and 2014." Howard Journal of Communication. (August 2021).
Richard M. Perloff; Professor, School of Communication
Professor Perloff shepherded and advised a group of communication undergraduates as they presented results of a content analysis of masking and vaccination public service announcements at the Ohio Communication Association Convention on October 2, 2021.
Rick also received a first-place award in 2021 for the best feature in Freelance Digital Media for a May 4, 2020 opinion piece in The New York Times entitled "Four Students Were Killed in Ohio. America Was Never the Same." This article was part of the 50th anniversary of the May 4, 1970 Kent State shootings series.
- Perloff, Richard. "The Dynamics of Political Communication - Third Edition." Routledge. (Summer 2021).
- Perloff, Richard. Anup Kumar. "Reimagining American exceptionalism could help recapture our shared values." Cleveland Plain Dealer. (September 2021).
Hilary Plum; Assistant Professor, Department of English and Interim Director, CSU Poetry Center
Hilary Plum has been a guest writer giving in-person and virtual readings at a number of universities, including Eastern Michigan University, the Chautauqua Institute, Miami University of Ohio, and the University of Virginia's College at Wise.
Marcus Schultz-Bergin; Assistant College Lecturer, Department of Philosophy & Comparative Religion
- Schultz-Bergin, Marcus. "Does Convergence Liberalism Risk Anarchy?" Journal of Ethics & Social Philosophy.
- Schultz-Bergin, Marcus. "The Primacy of the Public: Ethical Design for Technology" MSL Academic Endeavors eBooks. 25. (2021).
An open-access textbook for engineering and technology ethics published as part of a CSU Textbook Affordability Grant.
Cigdem Slankard; Interim Director and Assistant Professor, School of Film & Media Arts
Breaking Bread (2020), a virtual reality documentary produced and directed by Cigdem Slankard, is an official selection at FIVARS, the Festival of International Virtual and Augmented Reality Stories. The festival focuses on curating the best immersive story-driven content from around the world with the aim of exploring and nurturing this platform for new narrative forms.
Additional information and screening record for Breaking Bread is available at this link: http://www.cigdemslankard.com/breaking-bread.html
J. Mark Souther; Professor, Department of History and Director, Center for Public History + Digital Humanities
- Souther, J. Mark. "Through the Ivory Curtain: African Americans in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, before the Fair Housing Movement." Journal of Urban History. (published online Oct. 4, 2021, with print publication to follow).
Mark also served as a humanities consultant in summer 2021 for the Shaker Historical Society's Ohio Humanities grant-funded project "Shaker Oral History Program."
Qingshan Tan; Professor, Department of Political Science
- Tan, Qingshan, Jiansheng Liu, and Yuxuan Dang, "Local Strategy for China's Poverty Alleviation Campaign: Incorporating Growth Priorities into Implementation." Political Science Quarterly. Volume 136 Number 3 2021, pp. 463-486.
- Ma, Baobin, Qingshan Tan, and Ping Du, "Public Opinion and Social Justice in China." Journal of Chinese Political Science. (October 2021).
Kuzey Yilmaz; Professor, Department of Economics
- "Average Car Insurance Cost." WalletHub's. (September 2021).
Fall 2021 Full-time Staff Highlights
Mary McDonald; Director, Writing Center, Department of English
- McDonald, Mary. "Renewal in Learning and Writing Center Leadership: Advice from Coaching Expert Richard Boyatzis." The Learning Assistance Review 26 (2021): 163-179.