School of Communication

Frequently asked questions answered for School of Communication undergrads

Frequently Asked Questions for Undergraduates

Q: I want to register for a class/Do you have a class in….?
A: All information about what courses will be offered is available on CampusNet. Even if you are not yet a student you can see what classes we are offering next semester by using the "Guest" option. If you are a student, you can use your student ID to access and sign up for classes on CampusNet as well. If the semester you are curious about is not yet showing on CampusNet, then it is not yet finalized.

Q: I am not yet a student, how do I sign up for a class?
A: You will need to talk to Admissions (216.687.2100) to become a student. Once you are enrolled, you can use your student ID to sign up for classes on CampusNet.

Q: Do I have an advisor?
A: Yes.  Students in the School of Communication are assigned a major advisor.  If you are unsure of who your advisor is, you can call the School of Communication main office at 216-687-4630.  Our advisors will be happy to meet with you and discuss your educational and career goals.  For general education advising, your college advisor can be reached in CLASS Advising at 216-687-5040.

Q: I need help choosing a Communication major…
A: Start by looking at the required classes for each major ("Journalism & Promotional Communication" or, "Communication Studies"), think about what courses would most interest you, and if you want more guidance, speak with one of the School of Communication Major Directors at 216.687.4630 to be directed to someone who is currently available.

Q: I want to declare/change my major, what do I do?
A: Students wishing to declare or change their major should call (216) 687-5040 to make an appointment to see Jennifer Novy, in the Main Classroom, room 221 (The CLASS Advising Center). If you aren't certain what your major is, you can check it on CampusNet under the "Student" tab click on "Student Record", your College and Plan/Major are listed there.

Q: I think I'm ready to graduate, what do I need to do?
A: First make sure that your major shows up correctly on CampusNet. Then go to your advisors so they can double check that you will have all your requirements fulfilled. See your CLASS Advisor for your General Education Requirements (MC 221, 216.687.5040) and your Major or Minor requirements with your School of Communication Major Director (MU 233, 216-687-4630). After that, you will need to file a graduation application: check the Office of the University Registrar's graduation webpage for details. Make sure to list your major on the application.

Q: I need career advice, what kind of career can I have if I major in one of the areas of Communication?
A: Speak to your advisor about what kinds of career options they are aware of in their field. If you don't yet have a School of Communication advisor, check the advisor section above.

Q: I want an internship next semester, what do I do?
A: Set up an appointment to meet with our Internship Director by calling 216-687-4630.

Q: None of this answered my question, can anybody help me?
A: Call 216.687.4630 and we will try to direct you to the answer.

Return to top